Apex is a game of movement and positioning as much as it is of gunplay. You might be able to click heads like no other, but if you don’t know good positioning, how to create advantageous engagements, and good movement tricks you’re likely going to find yourself on the losing end of gunfights against players that have a stronger understanding of these fundamentals.
The key here is to approach every fight with momentum, cover, and your position in mind. Keep these tips in mind while you’re playing:
- Don’t start a gunfight from a standstill unless you’re sniping. You're much harder to hit while you’re moving.
- Always avoid starting a push across open terrain, cover is essential to protect you from flanking and other enemy squads.
- Use your squad's abilities to find higher positions with a good line of sight to an enemy squad before starting an engagement.
- If your squad is exposed during a gunfight don’t hesitate to disengage to find a stronger position.
- Use grenades and area denial abilities to control the movement of enemy squads and deny the use of cover. Force your opponents to choose between eating a grenade or surrender their positioning.
There are also some specific and more advanced movement techniques to use to rise from good player to great player like super jumping and fast armor swaps.
How to Super Jump on Controller in Apex Legends
The super jump in Apex Legends is all about getting a little extra height out of your jump after using a zipline to climb on spaces you normally wouldn’t have easy access to.
Super Jump - Tap Square (X on Xbox), then X twice (A on Xbox)
The key here is practice, and not only on the execution of the timing of the jump, but identifying the locations a super jump could give you the tactical advantage in your games. Keep your eyes open for ziplines that start and end by buildings or terrain with ledges. With some practice you’ll be pulling super jumps off with ease and hitting your opponents from angles they never imagined.
How to Fast Armor Swap on Controller in Apex Legends
The quick armor swap is all about maintaining momentum while you’re doing a quick armor swap mid-gunfight so you don’t get picked off while you’re looking through menus. Movement in menus is not a problem for PC players on mouse and keyboard, but for those of us that play on controllers we need a few tricks and some practice to pull this off safely.
Fast Armor Swap - Hold Square (X on Xbox), tap X (A on Xbox) right before the menu pops up
When you go to loot a deathbox there is a full second after you interact with it and your inventory menu opens. The secret to the fast swap is hitting your jump just a moment before the menu actually pops up. The menu will still pop up and you’ll be moving instead of just standing there. This can be timed with a slide jump to really keep you moving and ensure you’re making yourself as hard to hit as possible.
Make sure you practice all these pro tips in your games of Apex Legends and you’ll be playing like a pro in no time.
If you’re looking to get more detail and some visual aid for these techniques be sure to check out the video from Jankz above or read the full video transcription below.